F.A.Q. New York State Infection Control Course

Start The Course Now

Answers about the NYS Infection Control Course Requirement

  1. How long is the NYS Infection Control Course valid?

4 Years. The NYS Infection Control Course is valid for four (4) years from the date of completion.

  1. Can coursework be completed online?

Yes. The NYS Infection Control Course can be completed entirely online.

  1. Who must complete the New York State Infection Control Course?

Every Registered Nurse, Physician, Physician Assistant, LPN, Dental Hygienist, Optometrist, and Podiatrist.

  1. Where do they report compliance with this requirement?

Every dental hygienist, dentist, licensed practical nurse, optometrist, podiatrist, and registered professional nurse practicing in New York State must complete approved infection control and barrier precautions coursework appropriate to the professional’s practice every 4 years. Each professional must document course completion to the Education Department at the time of his/her first registration and every subsequent reregistration. The course provider does not report course completion to the New York State Education Department.

Physicians, Physician Assistants (PAs), and Specialist Assistants (SAs), while needing to meet the same requirement and deadlines, must document their completion of approved course work either to the Department of Health-regulated health care facilities at which they are credentialed or, if not so credentialed, to the New York State Department of Health.

  1. What is considered approved coursework? Does it have a specified core curriculum?

Approved course work is that which is received during the four years prior to attestation either from providers designated by the State Education Department (SED) or the Department of Health (DOH) or in a SED-registered professional program. Approved infection control coursework must contain, at a minimum, the following seven core elements:

To view a list of approved NYSED providers click here:

To view a list of approved NYSDOH providers click here:

  1. I am a licensed dentist. May I take an approved infection control course designed for optometrists?

No. The Law requires that course work must be appropriate to the professional’s practice. Thus, a dentist needs to take coursework specific to the dental setting, which may differ significantly from an optometric practice. The same rule holds for each of the different professions. You may, however, find that some coursework has been approved for multiple professions. For example, a registered professional nurse who only works in a dentist’s office may complete approved coursework offered by the Dental Society of the State of New York.

  1. Does the approved coursework have to contain a specified number of hours?

No. The course takes between two to four hours to complete. Neither law nor regulations specify a minimum time requirement; Since there is no requirement that training is offered in a single session, some providers may offer a series of programs.

  1. If I am to document compliance to the Education Department, how and when do I report my completion of approved infection control coursework?

At the time of your first licensure or reregistration application and each subsequent reregistration thereafter, you will be required to attest to your compliance with this requirement. On your registration form, you will need to provide the provider number from your course completion certificate.

  1. Upon course completion should I send that certificate of completion to the Education Department along with my registration application?

No. Do not send your certificate of completion or a copy of the document to the Education Department. You should keep this important certificate and a photocopy of your attestation form in your personal files for at least four years after the date of your attestation.

  1. Is an OSHA course in infection control considered the equivalent of a Department-approved course?

No. Courses offered to fulfill only the regulations of the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) do not include all seven core elements that must be contained, at a minimum, in either Department-approved coursework or coursework which could be deemed to be equivalent.

  1. I live outside New York State and never practice my licensed profession within the State of New York. However, I wish to retain my New York State license and registration. Do I have to take the approved infection control coursework?

No. The Education Law states only that certain licensed health professionals practicing in the State must document their completion of the required training to the Department. Therefore, in section 2(a) of the attestation form (Form 1IC), you may attest that you will not engage in the practice of your profession within New York State during the dates of your next registration period. This will exempt you from the coursework requirement.

If you return to practice in this State, you must:

  • Inform the Department of your return within thirty (30) days; complete the required course work within ninety (90) days of the change in practice, and within a reasonable time, notify the Department in writing of your compliance with this requirement.
  1. I live in New York State, but I will not practice my profession for such reasons as unemployment or retirement. However, I still want to maintain my New York State registration. Must I take infection control coursework?

No. If you can attest at the time of your application for licensure or registration that you will not be engaged in professional practice within New York State during the ensuing registration period, you may claim exemption from the coursework requirement, as outlined in question 10. However, if you return to active practice in the State, you must follow the guidelines described in the previous answer.

  1. I will graduate soon from a professional program registered by the New York State Education Department. Do I still need to take infection control coursework?

No, if you graduated after September 1993 and you completed a registered professional program that prepares graduates for licensure in the affected health professions. You may attest to compliance with this requirement at the time of your application for licensure or reregistration.

  1. I am a recognized expert in the field of infection control. May I be exempt from this coursework requirement?

No. The Law does not recognize professional expertise as a basis for exemption from the requirement.

  1. How does New York State audit a licensee’s compliance with the infection control course requirement?

The Department will conduct periodic audits of a sample of licensees who claim compliance with, or exemption from, this requirement. Those audited will be asked to provide adequate documentation, such as is described in the answers to questions 7, 8, and 10.

  1. What will happen if I am selected for audit and my documentation is incomplete or inadequate?

A reviewer will assess your documentation to determine your compliance with, or exemption from, this requirement. If you are determined to be in noncompliance, a judgment will have to be made as to whether there is clear evidence of a good faith effort to comply with the law. If there is, you may be directed to take coursework from an approved provider by a given date. Absent clear evidence of good faith, noncompliance may be deemed professional misconduct. Professional misconduct is punishable by a variety of means, including fine, censure, suspension, or revocation of the professional’s license.

  1. What laws describe the requirement?

For dentists, dental hygienists, licensed practical nurses, optometrists, podiatrists, and registered nurses, the citation is Section 6505-b of the Education Law. For physicians, physician assistants, and specialist assistants, the requirement is found in Chapter 786 of the Laws of 1992.

  1. Do you report my results to New York State?

No. New York State requires that licensed dentists, dental hygienists, licensed practical nurses, optometrists, podiatrists, and registered nurses report on a specified form (Form 1IC) to the State Education Department at the address on the form.

  1. What is the format of the course?

Online. The course is presented entirely online and can be accessed at any time. You do not need to complete the course in one sitting. You can log back into the course and continue the course on your schedule.

  1. What happens when I finish the course?

A certificate is automatically emailed to you.

  1. Where can I get form 1IC?

You can download it by clicking here: (Form 1IC)

  1. Who is the authorized provider for this course?

This course is offered by the Jamaica Bay Community Development Corporation, inc. a New York State 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. The Jamaica Bay CDC is an authorized provider for the NYSDOH #TP10340 and NYSED #IC213.

Visit the Jamaica Bay CDC at: https://jamaicabaycdc.org/

Translate ยป
%d bloggers like this: